Illuminate gene expression with the BioBits® cell-free system. Good for any learning setting!
BioBits® pellets are tiny molecular factories that can create a variety of proteins, from brightly colored fluorescent proteins to functional enzymes – no fancy equipment or complicated protocols needed. Researchers have been using cell-free reactions in their laboratories for years, and now the BioBits® cell-free system makes this cutting-edge technology accessible anywhere to anyone interested in learning molecular biology. In this activity, you will use BioBits® cell-free technology to visualize the flow of genetic information and monitor transcription and translation in real time through fluorescence. Learn about the central dogma of molecular biology with cutting-edge synthetic biology – even in remote learning settings!
- BioBits® Central Dogma mini-lab (enough reagents to do the activity twice)
- P51™ Molecular Fluorescence Viewer
- 9-volt battery
- 4 µl minipette (fixed-volume micropipette)
- 20 disposable micropipette tips
- Activity guide
Shipping and storage notes:
- These reagents ship overnight.
- Store in a freezer (-20ºC) and use within 6 months of receipt.
- If a freezer is not available, viable for three months when stored in a fridge (4ºC ).