In this 120-minute miniPCR Learning Lab™, you will help the International Space Agency control an outbreak of pathogenic bacteria in space food bound for Mars! Learn how to use miniPCR™ (the PCR machine aboard the International Space Station), restriction analysis, and DNA gel electrophoresis to characterize bacterial strains and protect the health of astronauts.
This applied biotechnology investigation addresses a foodborne illness outbreak through the same real-world methodologies that public health and surveillance authorities use here on Earth. You’ll learn molecular microbiology techniques relevant to the STEM job market, and engage in a real-world problem with huge public health and economic impact.
This miniPCR Learning Lab™ utilizes the following molecular techniques:
- PCR (polymerase chain reaction) amplification of bacterial genes
- Restriction digest, RFLP analysis
- DNA Gel electrophoresis, staining, and visualization
- Highlights real-world applications of molecular microbiology in public health.
The miniPCR Food Safety Lab kit contains reagents for 8 lab groups of 4 students:
- 2X EZ PCR Master Mix, Load-Ready™
- 3X Food Safety Lab Primer Mix
- 4 DNA samples to investigate, including controls
- Restriction enzyme XmnI
- 100 bp DNA ladder, Load-Ready™
- These reagents require frozen storage.
- Microtubes, PCR tubes, and electrophoresis reagents sold separately.