An engaging, skills building lab. And it glows!™
This lab serves as an introduction to the phenomenon of fluorescence and its applications in biotechnology. It also provides an engaging framework to develop foundational lab skills such as micropipetting and estimating the concentration of a solute through a dilution series.
Students will explore the properties of fluorescein, a commonly used indicator in biotechnology applications. By taking an inquiry-based approach, students will grow comfortable in the use of indicator molecules to answer experimental questions. Go fluorescein glow!
- Techniques utilized: Micropipetting, fluorescence detection
- Time required: One or two 45-min. periods, depending on approach
- Level: Introductory
The P51™ Introduction to Fluorescence Lab kit contains reagents for 8 lab groups of up to 4 students each (32 students):
- Concentrated Fluorescein
- Dilution Buffer
- Unknown Sample
- 200 µl strip-tubes
- Individual 200 µl tubes
- Microcentrifuge tubes
- Micropipettes (2-20 µl range) and tips
- P51™ Molecular Viewer or blue light transilluminator (460-480 nm, e.g. blueBox or blueGel) — one per lab group
- Store in a cool place, protected from light.
- Shelf-life: 24 months when stored at 4ºC.
Free miniPCR Learning Lab™ downloads:
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for answers key.