Quick and easy cheek cell DNA extractionKaty Martin
The first step in any type of genetic testing is to collect a DNA sample. miniPCR offers robust lab kits to explore the connection between genotype and phenotype using yourself as an experimental subject, including the ability to taste PTC and morning vs. evening preference. Our easy-to-use miniPCR DNA extraction buffers, included in those lab kits and available for separate purchase, allow you to extract DNA from your own cheek cells for use in PCR in less than 15 minutes with minimal equipment!
Extract your DNA with 4 easy steps:
- Gently scrape the inside of your cheek with a toothpick.
- Swirl the toothpick in extraction buffer.
- Heat for 10 minutes at 95 ℃.
- Use DNA extract for PCR.
Because the DNA extraction protocol takes less than 15 minutes, you can fit DNA extraction, PCR, and gel electrophoresis in two 45-minute class periods:
- Less is more: Too much DNA actually interferes with PCR. You only need to gently scrape your cheek 2-3 times with the toothpick. It should not hurt!
- miniPCR offers two DNA extraction buffers: Choose the one that’s right for your lab or classroom.
|Extraction buffer||Protocol||Storage||DNA extract stability|
|DPX™ DNA Extraction Buffer||
||Freezer||1 month at room temperature or >1 year frozen|
|X-Tract™ DNA Extraction Buffer||
||Room temperature||Use for PCR within 2 hours|
Whether you are using a Learning Lab kit or designing your own experiment, DNA extraction buffers from miniPCR make DNA extraction fast and easy!